Saturday, June 28, 2008

Construction Update #51


To be honest, I was nervous about the flat work crew. Sure, they worked hard on the interior slab, but the cracking is beyond what I thought was reasonable.

But greater worries kept me from switching flat workers. The special additive that promises to prevent water seepage (the deck in parts is above living space) was ordered by me a month ago, but not ordered by the concrete provider until a couple days before the pour. Then the ‘chairs’ needed to hold up the mesh ran short. I ordered up a case by overnight FedEx. It went from CA to Memphis. Thank you , thank you very much – not. We improvised with ABS pipe. I think it worked.

Looking good for Friday, all things considered. Oops, somebody didn’t consider cleaning out the pump truck. The sledge hammers solved that problem.

Meanwhile, the floor grinders kept progressing on the slab work, bringing out the hidden rocks and the fish templates.

We continued the river across the deck. That’s me placing rocks. Oh yeah, that’s also me foreseeing old saw blades into the garage slab. When that floor gets polished, we should see the outline of the blades.

The day ended with the flatwork guy exposing the deck aggregate. Sugar is used to ‘kill’ the top cream and then it is removed with a pressure washer. We used Sam’s cola, because the price of molasses had gone up. Imagine that.

Three pours in three weeks. My main guy delivered the goods.

Now we tear out the shoring and start on the last set of walls.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment